Nonprofits are exceptionally good at addressing the needs of their communities.
All organizations, however, need some outside help from time to time to address their own needs.
You may, for example, have an event driven need for a unique skill set or temporary resource to supplement your team. Or, you may have a need for ongoing assistance but don’t need or can’t afford a full-time resource such as a CFO.
Whether it’s the need for customized financial analysis and reporting for a grant application, evaluating the financial implications of a new earned income opportunity or strategic partnership, managing your fraud risk, or responding to an unplanned event, Gallagher Advisory Services has the skills and experience to help.
- Preparation and communication of financial information and analysis to management, the board, funders and other stakeholders
- Financial analysis and diligence related to strategic partnerships/mergers and acquisitions
- Fraud prevention and detection
- Forensic investigations related to suspected fraud and other misconduct
- Financial analysis related to disputes with third parties
- Compliance program consulting
- Outsourced CFO services
- Interim management
- Project management
- Cash flow forecasting and management
- Accounting and finance policies and procedures
- Audit preparation and response to audit findings
The ultimate goal of any project is to create, protect or restore financial agility, resiliency and integrity enabling the nonprofit to fulfill its mission.
We work with organizations such as those in education, the arts, health and human services and trade associations. By creating multi-discipline teams and solutions, tailored to the specific need, Gallagher Advisory has helped organizations enhance financial management practices, address complex issues such as fraud, ethics and regulatory matters, and resolve business disputes arising from disagreements with third parties.
Strengthen Financial Management
- Advised nonprofits on budgeting, cash flow planning, financial reporting, scenario planning and accounting policies, procedures and controls.
- Led a project analyzing the budgeting and reporting process for a major University undergoing a multi-year capital improvement project.
Manage Financial Risk
- Assisted clients in managing their fraud and corruption risks by conducting risk assessments and designing and implementing robust compliance programs including policies and procedures, training, monitoring, and conducting audits and investigations.
- Conducted fraud and compliance risk assessments in connection with merger and acquisition due diligence.
- Led many cross-border projects, involving Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Western and Eastern Europe, Africa, and Asia. Demonstrated ability to understand, adapt to and navigate cultural and business differences across these regions.
Respond to Unplanned Events
- Conducted a forensic analysis to identify improper payments, conflicts of interest and self-dealing by the CEO of a non-profit human services organization.
- Investigated embezzlement of funds by the controller of a large state teachers union. Quantified stolen funds and recommended enhanced internal controls and processes.
- Investigated, on behalf of the audit committee of the board of trustees of a hospital, allegations of fraudulent accounting for the costs of a $350 million construction project that far exceeded the Certificate of Need issued by the state health care regulator.
- Conducted forensic investigation of potential fraud perpetrated by a third-party vendor responsible for the operation of a state college bookstore.
- Co-led with outside counsel to the board of trustees an investigation into the improper use of funds for capital projects by a major state university.